Tuesday 26 June 2007

A light in a twisted world - What a smile can't do.

It has been a while since I last posted on this blog, especially so since there isnt a boredom to escape from anymore (Finished both Black and White 2 and it's expansion in 2 days! Played WoW for 9 hours straight!). And so here I am trying to get back attuned with the outside world once again, mildly dazed from literally 48 hours of abstinence from social contact. So, as much a ranting of words and a reminder to myself again on advice of how I should approach people outside the screen, I shall speak of - Smiles.


It's amazing thing, smiles, of what is but a simple, innate-built facial expression that reflects the person's contentment and happiness to those who care to notice. If it is noticed however, so pure is it's exhibition of joy that it is overflowing, infectious in everyway, tapping into each and every individual in different ways, mostly making the stranger feel happy even if there is nothing of him/herself in particular to be happy about. The best example of such a smile, is that of a babys': it cries like hell's gonna freeze over but when you do get it to smile just abit, your day lights up.


No doubt, there are many variations of smiles in the world: from the smile that accompanies pure delight to those that are born of malice or hate; and hence not all such 'smiles' would make others feel like a bucket of pink flowers. Hence the 'infectious smile' I spoke of prior, for simplicity's sake, is how I shall define what a smile is; with all other variations of smiles being modified ones, adapted to serve our own purporse. Indeed, society has adapted and evolved how we smile, from a young age we are taught to smile even when we don't really feel like it, conversly, we learn that not everyone who smiles at us are actually feeling happy either. One of the notions I have really wrestled with is that 'If something is done to an excess, most often the opposite usually happens'. While learning how to smile enables us to better get along with others, it doesnt take one too long to figure out that you'd be at square one if everyone's also doing the same thing. Candy doesnt taste sweet if you've been eating sugar all day and there are two ways you can make a light brighter: give it more light or make the surroundings darker. I have seen people in life with a literal smile pasted on their face 24/7 and sometimes, my jaw aches for them; while not to say that doom and gloom is the expressive way to go, sometimes I think that if we were abit more expressively honest with our feelings, the world would definetly be a happier place. True, we'll probably be confronted with each others' emotions and doubtlessly experience more friction without the lubricant of static smiles, but I think it's worth the bother if it can make that light shine better. After all, there's a reason why we always turn off the lights when we light up the birthday cake :P.

Im sure such is the case already with those close to you, just wish it extended abit more beyond that circle... I guess what one can get out of all of this is: The next time someone openly voices his opinion to you or displays discontent, be grateful he isnt just smiling.







4 comments:

Unknown said...

XD Here is my comment!

The birthday cake analogy made me smile. (:

<3

Anonymous said...

on a totally different point, do my dailies for me *nods*
too lazy to try to remember my password and log in...

Anonymous said...

Apologies about Satuday (as per tradition, I only realized the miss call an hour later). Cliched though this may be, I'll say it anyway - have fun wherever you are, even though the sort of entertainment you succumb to may not be so different from what you are used to in Melbourne.

(yes, that was an evident allusion to WOW)

Peace,

- Flower Returns Mountain

Anonymous said...

oh hellooooo, I smile for you

Taking needed break from holiday lawstudy.

Will slog through more of your posts when I return from tropical fruiteating.

<3